A parallel trend in the world of analytics is ‘Self-Service’ – or the tendency of enterprises to hand over data discovery/visualization to business owners, which we have noted elsewhere on our blog.
‘Self-Service’, is an important operational improvement in enabling business obtain business insights into the real world from their data. This can exponentially improve the ability to spot trends and apply course-correction.
As with almost all operational improvements, it brings its own set of challenges, specifically to Data Stewards who adopt the ‘Top-Down’ approach.
- How to understand, in real-time, what islands of data that business owners are currently interested in?
- What are the sources that they are relying upon?
Which leads to the important questions
- Are business owners being served with the exhaustive set of data sources?
- What is the quality of the data which people are obtaining insights from?
- Is the language industry/enterprise standard?
It is also important that this information be extracted in a non-invasive fashion and applied in a way that is non-intrusive to the business.
At Lucid, we have been following the convergence of these two trends, and as is our forte, put our money where our mouth is – We built a means of governing data visualizations created by business analysts.
We took two popular platforms – The Collibra Data Governance Center and the Tableau Server – and built out an Integration Solution that
- Can read metadata about Tableau Reports, establish their relationship to various sources of data and publish this information to the Collibra Data Governance Center.
- It also allows Business Glossary related information to be applied to specific Reporting Assets.
Using Collibra Traceability, users can trace a field on a Tableau Worksheet through its journey of transformation all the way to the source field from the Database Table or File that it is sourced from.
Tableau API allows Data Stewards to publish business terms and apply them to fields in such a way that end-users of these reports can automatically refer the true business meaning of each term that they view on the report on their screen.
In our opinion, this forms a key value-addition to both business owners and data stewards for the reasons mentioned above.